Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Learn to Churn": Increase Your Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses (Featured Article by Rick Ingersoll, The Frugal Travel Guy)

When I told the guys from the Best Rate Guarantee Blog about the latest project I have been working on at the Frugal Travel Guy blog, they quickly agreed to allow me to share it with you.

I wrote a series of articles the week of August 10th to 17th on increasing your credit card sign up bonuses and other credit card related issues.

I have been churning credit cards for the last 8 years, and prior to that have 16 years experience in the credit industry. This November's issue of InsideFlyer will feature a story about credit card churning and I was asked to contribute to the article.

Since writing the credit card articles, I have been helping my readers to better understand the possibilities of credit card churning, while still protecting their credit. My current estimate is that my readers have received credit card approvals for over 4 million frequent flyer miles and hotel points in the last two months.

The initial rush of questions has subsided and I now have the time to help readers of the Best Rate Guarantee Blog as well. You will not be asked any personally identifying information, such as your full name or social security number. If interested, you will be asked to acknowledge that your credit is one of your most important assets and a little bit about your credit history.

Although credit card churning is not my only source of miles, credit cards are the second largest source of frequent flyer and hotel point earnings for the airline and hotel industry. We have been so successful with this strategy and others, Katy (my wife) and I will be taking an Around the World trip this coming April, May and part of June flying in Business Class on frequent flyer miles, and all 61 nights of hotel rooms are free with hotel points, largely due to the many miles and points we have amassed through such credit card offers.

If you would like to learn more about the credit card churning and how you may increase your frequent flyer or hotel points balances, email me at ingy104@gmail.com or start by reading this blog article from the Frugal Travel Guy blog and the other related articles posted that week.

And don't forget to let me know you that you saw this post on the BRG Blog.



5 comments:

BearlyAmusing said...

I'm quite disappointed to see this blog now have miscellaneous mileage "travel tips". A link to useful info, sure, great. A couple sentences, OK, that would be fine, but a wordy sales pitch? No thanks.

Dave @ The BRG Blog said...

Hey BearlyAmusing,

As a long-time reader of this blog from the get-go, I really do respect your opinion.

I understand how this can be seen as a sales pitch, but I can assure you that Rick is far more interested in just helping people to maximize their credit card bonuses and free travel than make a measly commission on getting them to sign up for a card. If I felt that he was trying to profit off of my readers, I'd never allow him to post. But, I've met Rick and I know how truly obsessed he is about getting people in on great deals - his passion is completely devoid of greed, trust me.

For the record, the BRG Blog recieved no revenue or commissions from Rick at Frugal Travel Guy for this article - we just welcome his expertise in this area.

Also, I understand how this post doesn't "jive" with the rest of the blog - sure, I'll post the odd mistake fare, amazing hotel promotion, car rental code, mileage offer every now and then, but we do know that this blog is the Best Rate Guarantee blog and we try not to veer off course too much from that. This will be Rick's only post on this topic, he has assured - we just wanted the information to be available to those who wanted to know about credit card bonuses.

Again, we respect your opinion and we will strive to disappoint you less in the future

-Dave

FrugalTravelGuy said...

Everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

My suggestion would be if you don't care about free frequent flyer miles and an offer for some free advice on how to travel for free, then don't read when I post.

To you it may be a sales pitch. To me, it is an offer to help, and I have helped plenty of others from all sources without compensation.

Anonymous said...

I think it's damn useful information. Do you realize how much free travel you can get from signing up for credit cards? I can confirm 100% it works and works well. That's quite some valuable information they were trying to share. Even if they do profit from it in some way I think they deserve it for the help. I thought it was a fantastic post :)

Dave @ The BRG Blog said...

Thanks for the kind words. For the record, the BRG Blog receives no money for any referral to Frugal Travel Guy. He receives credit when you sign up for a credit card through one of his links. But, I know Rick, I've met him personally, and he's much more interested in just helping people than making any money off of them. Sign up at the branch, through a friend, through his links, anywhere you want, it doesn't matter to him - just hear Rick out, free of charge. He's there to help.